Below is the list of all words and concepts one should know prior to using CBD :
- Broad-Spectrum: Type of CBD that contains all of the cannabis or hemp’s cannabinoids, including CBD, CBG, CBN,… but no THC (there may be some traces though). It can still produce the “Entourage Effect”.
- CBD Isolate: it is Pure CBD. It contains only one cannabinoid: CBD and therefore does not contain THC at all nor terpenes. It will not produce the “Entourage Effect”.
- Entourage Effect: Mechanism that states that combining all the compounds, terpene, cannabinoids and flavonoids from the hemp flower will produce a more potent effect together rather than separately.
- Full-Spectrum CBD: Type of CBD that contains all of the cannabis or hemp’s cannabinoids, including CBD, CBG, CBN,… and THC (within the limit of 0.3% under the 2018 Farm Bill). If you want to maximize the effect of CBD, you will choose full-spectrum CBD. It will produce the “Entourage Effect” for maximum benefits. You may fail a drug test when consuming Full-Spectrum CBD.
- Terpenes: Also called terps. They are the natural chemical compounds of the hemp that are responsible for the aroma, scent and flavor of the flower. They have a lot of properties and health benefits on the Endocannabinoid System (ECS) especially when associated to cannabinoids (this is what we call the “Entourage Effect”). There is 120 terpenes in the hemp and the main are the Myrcene, Beta-caryophyllene, Alpha-humulene, Limonene, Linalool and Pinene. You will find Terpenes in Full-Spectrum and Broad Spectrum CBD products but you will not find it in Isolate CBD.
- THC: Short for tetrahydrocannabinol or delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol. It is one of the cannabinoids that you find in the cannabis or hemp flower. It is the psychoactive compound. It is responsible for the effects of the “High” feeling.
- Indica: It is one of the 3 types of CBD strains. Effects commonly associated with Indica plants are relaxation, pain relieve and rest/sleep. It is usually taken at night. Common Indica strains are Berries & Cream, Blueberry Cream, Juicy Watermelon, Strawberry Shortcake and Watermelon Zkittles.
- Sativa: It is one of the 3 types of CBD strains. Effects commonly associated with Sativa plants are stimulation, meaning more energy and more focus. It is usually taken during the day. Common Sativa strains are Green Crack, Ripe Strawberry and Sour Diesel.
- Hybrid: It is a mix between indica and sativa strains. Those strains usually have a dominant effect even if they can be balanced between the 2. Common Hybrid strains are Blue Dream, Scout Cookies and Prickly Pineapple.
- Hemp Delta-9:
- (to be continued)